Saturday, April 18, 2009

Writing About Summer in April



Yes, I know. You’re wondering why I’m writing about summer in April. You’ll be glad to know I have a good reason.

Jenny Han, the writer of a young adult (teen) book I read recently (SHUG), is sponsoring a haiku contest on her blog. I’m entering the contest, just for fun (and good writing practice). The haiku must be about our favorite things about summer. A haiku has three lines—five syllables in the first line, seven in the second, and five in the third.

Once I warmed up, I wrote five haikus, and now I can’t decide which one to enter, so I’m asking you to cast a vote. Which do you best? Please tell me in the comment section. Or, if you’re (1) shy or (2) can’t figure out how this comment thing works, send an email to me.

#1
all day at the beach
at night hot, red skin slathered
in sweet, cool lotion.

#2
nights warm and muggy
watermelon juice dribbles
fireflies light the yard.

#3
time for rest and fun
read, travel, swim, visit, love
school’s out until fall.

#4
cool grass between toes
sizzling cement scorches soles
summer means bare feet

#5
short shorts, halter tops
Bible School stories and songs
catching horny toads


I’ll give you the final count in my next blog.

It’s not too late for you to enter the haiku contest, so go to Jenny’s blog and join the fun before the deadline on Monday. It’s jennyhan.livejournal.com.

8 comments:

drlobojo said...

"..horny toads"
Breed tadpoles.

Anonymous said...

In order, beginning with the best: 2/4, 1, 5, 3 -Tasha

smeade said...

My favorite is the second one, but I love them all. Nice job, Jeannie!

Anonymous said...

I vote for #1 simply because it's not about the "commonest" things of summer; it's a little different. Enjoyed them all. Debra

Joy said...

I vote for #1. I think the imagery is the strongest.

The Punk said...

Overall I'd say #1 for imagery etc. The other posts are right about that.

Honorable mention to #2. It has the best flowing meter... or whatever haikus have instead.

Carol said...

I like them all! I already read them and left without choosing twice before.

I think #2 is my vote. I like #1 and its tactileness, but #2 is more my experience with summer. I also appreciate the horny toad shoutout, but the toads don't go with the bible school for me, and I like that #2 is more of a single image/experience/picture/unit.

Stacy Nyikos said...

I like #2. Great Imagery.