Wednesday, February 4, 2009

A Day at the Movies


I've discovered one of the best things about being retired: afternoon movies. Twice during the last couple of weeks, The Singer (also a newly retired teacher) and I have gone to a movie IN THE AFTERNOON! What a guilty pleasure! While my friends at school are tearing their hair out trying to teach double digit multiplication, I sit in the dark theater with only a handful of other watchers and enter another world.


I haven't watched many movies in recent years, either on DVDs or in theaters. I've been too busy making lesson plans and trying to survive spending the majority of my waking hours with ten year olds. I'm telling you, life is good in the movie theater in the middle of the day. No crowds, no kids to supervise, no one squeezing past you during an exciting scene.

A couple of weeks ago, we saw Marley and Me.



Today we saw The Reader.




I'm not going to review these movies. For one thing, I'm easily pleased. (If I don't have to keep kids quiet or wonder why two of my girls have been in the bathroom for so long, I enjoy the movie.) So I'll just say that I liked both movies.


I think I'm going to make a habit of this. Even if I find myself watching a dud, there's always popcorn to brighten the day.


2 comments:

drlobojo said...

How about a date for the movies with me?

Okie Book Woman said...

Sure! Let's go!