Tuesday, March 16, 2010

What Cancer Cannot Do




Last night yet another of my friends told me that she has cancer. I know cancer has struck many people, but lately it’s attacking people my age, and that feels different.

.

My friend Marcy has been fighting lung cancer for five years, and although her prognosis is not good, she’s a survivor. She has fought valiantly, using surgery, healthy eating, prayer and meditation, chemotherapy, and alternative medicine. She’s traveled to Mexico for treatment not available in the U.S. At this time, she’s participating in an experimental drug test. Nothing has cured her. In fact, the cancer has now spread to her liver and spine. But in so many other ways, Marcy is healthier than nearly everyone else I know.

.

I’ve marveled at her ability to stay focused and positive, without denying the feelings of loss that sometimes overwhelm her. She has attempted to “live large” during these years; in part, this has meant making two trips to South Africa, where she has done volunteer work with the United Methodist Church. She spends time with her family and friends, cherishing simple moments.

.

Marcy sends insightful and eloquent emails to her “Band of Allies,” in which she speaks of loving her life. She has a new awareness of joy, wonder, and blessing. She recalls Jesus’s words about losing life in order to find it, and she claims to have found the peace that passes understanding. She encourages her friends to embrace the joy of life.

.

She is planning a party in May, to spend time with the people who have cheered her through this arduous journey. She calls it a celebration of her life.

.

Thank you, Marcy, for sharing yourself so generously throughout your illness. You have touched so many of us with your courage and faith.

.

And to my other friends who are battling cancer, I pray that you will discover what Marcy has found during this time. Here are some words she wrote in a recent email:

.

Cancer sucks, but not enough to keep God's abiding grace from sheltering me. I will give Thee thanks, O Lord, with my whole heart.”

.

Amen.


5 comments:

Marla said...

I have walked this path with my youngest sister for the last 11 years. I am amazed by the strength of these women.

Oklahoma Granny said...

Your friend is truly an inspiration. Blessings to her and others who are fighting this horrible disease. And blessings to you. Thank you for a wonderful post today.

Kim Rogers said...

A friend of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer when she was only thirty three. Last week, she announced that she is out of remission, and the cancer has returned with a vengeance. She is fighting her most difficult battle yet, and she is doing it with and an extraordinary attitude and grace.

I too am amazed at the strength of these women. My heart and prayers go to your friend and mine and to each and every person affected by this awful disease.

Kim Rogers said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Amy Dee Stephens said...

As you know, I've been going down the same trail with my husband, but you and many other people prayed for him and he's done miraculously better. As someone in my class at church said, "We don't always know why some people are healed and others are not, but when someone isn't healed, it often effects family and friends in a way that they, too, can see God." It offered me some comfort. She's lucky to have you as a praying friend--you might get a miracle yet!
Amy Dee Stephens
"Words carry time and culture."