Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Thirsty? Go to POPS.




We’d been hearing about POPS, a gas station/convenience store/restaurant/soda pop establishment on Route 66 in Arcadia. So a couple of weeks ago, on a hot Thursday afternoon, Dr. Lobo, Little Guy, and I checked it out.




The first thing we noticed was the giant sixty-six foot soda bottle. At night, it lights up.


We parked the car in the rather large lot and walked through the gas pump area,




ate a good lunch at the restaurant,






and looked at 12,000 or so soda bottles.




























This was one of my favorite finds, since it refers to Arcadia’s famous round barn, just down Route 66 from POPS. For two years, Dr. Lobo and I lived in the country just outside of Arcadia, and I drove past that barn every day.




It’s a good thing we came in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday, when it wasn’t busy.






Go to www.pops66.com to learn more about POPS. An interesting video shows the giant soda bottle being moved onto the site.




Visiting POPS is a fun little excursion. Just be sure you go sometime when it isn’t busy.





9 comments:

Carol said...

Fun! I'm glad I don't have to dust all those bottles.

glori fuller said...

Try the grilled cheese with tomatoes and bacon next time! Delicious!

drlobojo said...

The bottles on display are GLUED down. So I bet there is a high powered vacuum that dusts them cause they were clean as a whistle.
P. S. they got Thomas Kemper!

Carol said...

That makes sense. I figured they were smart enough to come up with a good method.

The grilled cheese sounds wonderful!

Oklahoma Granny said...

Wow! Your post couldn't be more timely. My husband and I are going to OKC next Tues to visit our son's family and I had planned to stop by POPS for lunch. Thanks for the great photos. I can't wait.

Melinda said...

Your right! It IS a wonderful place to visit!! AND not only for the "pop" but the hamburgers are GREAT!!!

Oklahoma Granny said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I've been reading your blog for a few weeks now and have it bookmarked as one of my favorites.

Anonymous said...

All the pop bottles are cleaned by hand. I have the inside scoop. :)

drlobojo said...

"All the pop bottles are cleaned by hand."

Bummer!

Tell us more!